1960 porsche 356B T5

THE MODEL

The model that started everything! The Porsche 356 is about as iconic as it gets.  The first car was built on June 8th, 1948 in Gmund, Austria, powered by a 1.1l VW air-cooled flat four engine, with a massive horsepower rating of 35hp and a top speed of 83 MPH.  50 total "Pre-A's" were built in Gmund.

 

 The main production of 356's ran from 1950 -1965 and were built in Zuffenhausen, a region of Stuttgart Germany and still the home of Porsche.  This particular model is the "B", running from 1960 - 1963, it is also known as the "T-5".  It marked a milestone in the evolution of the 356, the bodywork showed significant (if subtle changes).  The 356B (T-5) was available as a coupe, cabriolet or roadster.

THIS CAR

 

This 1960 "B", 110079, is an early example, built on December 21, 1959 with a body by Reutter.  This particular car was disassembled and a full bare metal restoration began in 2008, being completed in 2013.  The goal of the restoration was to create a reliable driving car that could easily participate in rally tours and other motoring events while still showing well at concours events.

Sometime prior to 2008 a 912 1600 engine was fitted to the car.  A great deal of effort was made to ensure that the engine presents as a true 356 engine from the outside, but the greater power available from the 912 engine ensured more spirited driving and the ability to easily keep up with modern traffic. As per the Certificate of Authenticity, the transaxle is original to the car.

No expense was spared in the reassembly of this 356, with NOS parts being sourced or original parts being refurbished.  If new replacement parts were used, they sought out the best of those reproductions.  The car has been driven approximately 6600 miles since completion of that restoration.  The car presents extremely well and is one of the finest specimens we have been around.   The current owner has had the car since 2019 and continued to improve it.

 

A number of performance and aesthetic enhancements have been made, including: 

  • Coddington Rudge wheel replicas cerakoted to a subtle satin finish.

  • Avon CR6ZZ radials

  • A rare smaller diameter 400mm period Nardi B wheel with matching mushroom horn button made for B Roadsters

  • NOS Marchal Equilux headlamps with rare City lights option

  • Hella 128 clear with OEM foglamp switch

  • Autobahn interior new dashpad, repadded seat cushions & installed correct neck roll

  • Big round Knecht mesh filters & vintage look Blue Bosch coil

  • Joe Leoni headlight relay and starter relay installed

  • Optima 6v battery installed under original type battery cover

  • iPod/MP3 input jack added to the Blaupunkt Frankfurt AM/FM radio

  • An electric fuel pump and pressure regulator are discretely installed behind the passenger floorboard (the electric pump is ideal to fill the carb bowls after periods of non-use and may be used in lieu of the mechanical fuel pump should it ever fail) and controlled by a switch under the dash.

  • Precision Matters full flow oil pump cover, Mocal secondary oil cooler in left rear fender and a modern spin-on oil filter. No non original holes were drilled to mount these items. This was done in the interest of keeping the engine cool on climbs up long mountain passes.

  • Electric tachometer as the mechanical tach drive was eliminated with the full flow oil pump cover.

  • An LED third brake light is hidden behind the engine grill.

  • All gauge lighting changed to LED lamps from Jules D.

  • A later 356B T-6 shifter is installed for its more precise action.

  • Ignition distributor rebuild by Ed Fall at Vintage Werks included modifying the advance curve to work with modern, ethanol blended, fuels.

  • An Abarth style exhaust muffler is installed, along with solid bumper guards with no exhaust port.

  • Seat belts have been added for the front seating.

AVAILABLE!

Email ingo@genauautowerks.com

or call 415.730.5352 for more information